Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Today's Blog Appears On Book View Cafe

“Settling” in Meditation and in Writing 

I've always been struck by the commonality between trying to calm my mind to meditate and trying to get myself in gear to write. Here's an excerpt:
The very concept of being ready to write took me years to formulate. Partly because I have insanely high expectations of myself and partly because I began writing professionally when my children were small and there was no such thing as transition or warm-up time, I think I should be prepared to write at any moment. The truth is that when I do that, I have to rip out a lot of what I do. If, on the other hand, I am able to pay attention to what my creative mind needs, I am much more likely to work well and productively.

No comments:

Post a Comment