Monday, April 9, 2018

Crossroads of Darkover Author Interviews: Jenna Rhodes



Coming in May, an all-new Darkover anthology featuring tales of decisions, turning points, love lost and found, all in the beloved world of the Bloody Sun. Stories by Jenna Rhodes, Pat MacEwen, Gabrielle Harbowy, Evey Brett, Rosemary and India Edghill, Diana L. Paxson, and more!  Order yours today at: iBookKindleKoboNookTable of Contents is here.

Deborah J. Ross: Tell us about your introduction to Darkover.

Jenna Rhodes: I met Marion Zimmer Bradley at a Westercon in northern California, while browsing the book dealer room. She indicated a selection of books and I looked them over, saying, “Oh, I don’t know her.” I did buy one or two paperbacks then and found out the next day I had been talking to the author.

DJR: What about the world drew you in?

JR: I always thought of Darkover as a challenging and intriguing world full of possibilities.

DJR: What inspired your story in Crossroads of Darkover 

JR: I’ve always been curious about the matrixes and how they live/function beyond the holder to which they’ve bonded. My story touches on that a little. How did you balance writing in someone else’s world and being true to your own creative imagination? If you are steeped in the books’ backstory, I think it’s easier to write stories that fill in the empty spots. Researching the canon is the challenge.


DJR: Is there another Darkover story you would particularly like to read?

JR: At the moment, I am looking forward to reading the latest book from Deborah Ross. She always incites my imagination, and I will probably have story ideas that bloom.

DJR: What have you written recently? What is your favorite of your published works and why?

JR: The anthology stories I’ve had accepted these last few months: “The Locksmith’s Dilemma,” “Trust,” and “The Windlost” are all under my pen name Jenna Rhodes and I’m pleased with all of them. I’ve had more than 55 novels published, so it’s difficult to pick a favorite. I do love the four book series The Elven Ways I just finished for DAW. They please me because I like to stretch my writing and think I succeeded.

DJR: What lies ahead for you?

JR: I’ll be re-writing The Late, Great Wizard, a novel for DAW soon, and have forged ahead in its sequel, The New, Improved Sorceress. The more I write, the more I think of to write.

DJR: Anything else you’d like our readers to know about you, Darkover, or life in general?

JR: I write under a number of different pen names: Jenna Rhodes, Elizabeth Forrest, Sara
Hanover, Emily Drake as well as various of my name…Rhondi Vilott and R.A.V. Salsitz. No matter what name I choose, I’m always trying to create something challenging and interesting and magical for the reader.





Jenna Rhodes is one of the pen names of Rhondi A. Vilott Salsitz, known for her breadth of talent in science fiction, fantasy, and mystery. (She’s so prolific, she also writes as Emily Drake, Anne Knight, Elizabeth Forrest, Charles Ingrid, Rhondi Vilott Salsitz, R.A.V. Salsitz, Rhondi Vilott, and Rhondi Greening.) She’s been writing since she was in third grade and has published over 50 books and short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment