Monday, November 12, 2018

Sword and Sorceress 33 Author Interviews: Melissa Mead


Enter a wondrous universe…the latest volume of Sword and Sorceress, featuring stories from new and seasoned authors. Herein you will find tales of fantasy with strong female characters, with some version of either martial skill or magic. Not all the protagonists will be human, and sometimes the magic will take highly original forms, but the emotional satisfaction in each story and in the anthology as a whole, remains true to the original vision. The release date will be November 2, 2018.




Deborah J. Ross: Tell us a little about yourself.  How did you come to be a writer?
Melissa Mead:  I don't remember when I wasn't telling stories, even before I could write them.
My first attempt to write a story for publication actually came about when my then-husband suggested that I write a story for Sword and Sorceress, but they weren't open to general submissions at that time. My first submissions (and rejections) were in 1997. My first publication was in The First Line, in 1999.

DJR: What inspired your story in Sword and Sorceress 33?
Mm: Thinking that it's kinda creepy how so many girls in fairy tales end up marrying "Prince Charming" without knowing anything about him, or him knowing anything about her. And why WOULD the rulers of a kingdom need to invite every eligible maiden in the kingdom to a ball to get the heir to the throne married off, anyway?

DJR: What authors have most influenced your writing?  What about them do you find inspiring?
Mm: Gosh, probably more than I realize. I wish I had Terry Pratchett's wisdom and humor, Robin McKinley's gift for making familiar fairy tales come alive in new ways, and Lois McMaster Bujold's general brilliance. She writes the way I wish I did. And Gail Carson Levine inspires me not only with her work, but the wise and kind advice she gives to new writers in her blog. I'm sure I'm missing many more.


DJR: Why do you write what you do, and how does your work differ from others in your genre?
MM: Well, I write more than fairy tales, but I come back to those because they come with a set of assumptions that readers think they know, and it's fun to play with those. More than one editor has told me that I take stories in odd directions.

DJR: How does your writing process work?
DJR: Far too slowly. I get an idea, write as much as I can, then stare at the screen in frustration. Sometimes I'll combine parts of 2 or more stalled stories to make a new one.

DJR: What have you written recently? What lies ahead?
MM: Mostly flash, most of which is available from Daily Science Fiction. I'm also attempting a trilogy, which is about as far from flash as I can imagine. I don't know what came over me.

DJR: What advice would you give an aspiring writer?
MM: Read everything. Fiction, non-fiction, whatever strikes your fancy. It'll all float around in your brain until some alchemical process makes it into stories.
And write. Even if you think it's crappy. First drafts are SUPPOSED to be crappy. Even if you don't like how the story comes out now, you may be able to come back and rewrite it when you've had more experience. Ex: I recently sold a rewrite of a story that I wrote in school about 30 years ago. So for now, just have fun!

Melissa Mead lives in upstate NY. She loves messing with fairy tales. Several have appeared in Sword and Sorceress anthologies, and she's also the author of the Twisted Fairytale Flash Series at Daily Science Fiction. Her web page is https://carpelibris.wordpress.com


No comments:

Post a Comment