Saturday, April 16, 2011

Gratitude in Action

As I adjust to the idea of being 64, I'm profoundly grateful for all the blessings in my life. I live in an incredibly beautiful place with a wonderful partner who never ceases to amaze and delight me. I have close, supportive relationships with two fantastic daughters and a sister who's stood by me through terrible times. I've walked through those times, and healed enough to be able to use my own experiences as a wellspring of compassion for others. I have work that I love, work that allows me to continually explore the passions in my life.

Yesterday, over 80 people downloaded the omnibus edition of my first two novels at Book View Cafe. Some perhaps did so just because it was free, but I like to think that most of them experienced what I intended, a celebration of abundance and a sharing of what is meaningful to me. The "When I'm 64" giveaway is over (though you can purchase the omnibus as well as separate novels), but I'm still thinking of ways to "pay forward." Here are a few things that spring to mind. If you have others, please join in.


  • Support your favorite author. Link to that author's blog or website. Review books, even if it's just a few lines. Both of these things cost nothing but help improve internet visibility. The number of reviews can promote sales because outfits like amazon.com will pick up books as "Suggested Reading" once the number of reviews reaches a certain level. And if you really enjoyed a book, talk about it, tweet or blog or whatever about it. Pass the enthusiasm on.
  • Want to have a greater impact but don't have extra cash? Collect stamps for Right Sharing of World Resources. It's a Quaker organization that provides micro-grants, mostly to women, mostly in Africa and India. The women themselves create the income-generating projects, receive training in whatever skills are necessary, and repay the loans at a rate they themselves determine. A few dollars go a long way, and RSWR has raised over $50K from stamps. Just follow the clicks to how you can help --> save stamps. I keep an envelope on my desk so it's easy to cut off the tamps as mail comes in.
  • Tell someone you appreciate them. Say it out loud. Don't wait.

4 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog, Deborah. I especially liked the "Old Ladies Writers Commune" What an image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know you're enjoying my blog.

    The "Old Ladies Writers Commune" certainly has echoes of places we've been, although hopefully with the wisdom of experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of everyone writing a few words review, I will help spread the word Deborah. Thanks again for the omnibus. I hope you had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete